Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Life of Pathetic Excuses

When I read the quote below by Woody Allen, it helped my thinking in terms of how to get across a specific message.

Here's the quote;

"The biggest life lesson I learned is that you have to discipline yourself to do the work. If you want to accomplish something, you can't spend time hemming and hawing, and making excuses. You actually have to do it. I still have to go home every single day, know where I am, what I'm doing - and include 45 minutes of practice on my clarinet because I want to play. I want to write, too, so I get up, go in, close the door and write. You can't string paper clips and get a pad ready and play around."

Now isn't THAT a breath of clarity and freshness!

See, there's no room for living an excuse based life when we really get Woody and what he's up to regarding his own personal success.

But here's the truth of it from the many I hear who want a different life, but do nothing different to make things happen.

And the truth is - we love to rejoice in the miserable story of our own ineffectiveness because it takes us AWAY from the fix; the cure; the solution.

And that means... ACTION! Momentum. Flow. Movement.

There IS a tremendous fear of success for many. Those looking for a better life, really do speak a good life... they really do paint a picture of success and happiness... they really do convince themselves and others around them that they're making strides... but you know... there's no evidence to support all that. It's all smoke and mirrors puffery... illusionary make believe activity.

However, what there is an abundance of is a ton of airplay in the number one hit - "THE MISERY OF MY LIFE".

When I found myself making excuses for what I was up to, it drained me. I felt zapped, continuously. My energy levels would hit an all time low. My mumbling language gave the game away. My nervousness troubled my self-concept and weakened it to a shivering wreck.

And I'm glad I experienced all that because I can see from both sides of the fence. A life of excuses... and... a life of activity and momentum based on what I want.

Imagine Woody playing around with his paper clips and doodling on his notepad instead of creating his masterful work!!?

He would have cheated the world of his contribution. But no, he's giving us all he's got.

So, are you merely doodling and chucking paperclips... or are you doing the WORK to create your own masterpiece for us to marvel at?